Monday, December 16, 2013

What a ride!

To those reading this blog...sorry about the gaps in Sister LeStarge's letters. I'll be better about posting them. 

Happy Monday everyone! 

  Sheesh, these weeks just seem to absolutely fly by! This Sunday will be the 9th month I've been out! That's half way! Amazing. Well this week was an absolute Roller coaster!  So many Highs and Lows. I've decided I've got to stop trying to predict what the Lord has in store because I've just got no idea! 
    This past Tuesday was a fun one. My companion and I started it by going to lunch with the Elders after District meeting. They chose a Japanese restaurant and we went along. I was telling one of the Elders how easy I am with eating and trying new foods, so he decided we'd try something new! Boiled baby Octopus! He picked out one for himself and one for me! The little guys were only a little bigger than my thumb. It wasn't like calamari... because I like that. These little babies we're whole, with a head and rolled in arms! The elder ate his like a champ but when it came to my turn I couldn't even look at it to pick it up! I popped the little guy in my mouth, chewed him up...then spit him right back out! It was so gross! At first it was chewy but then came some crunchy! I just wasn't prepared mentally! And I felt pressured with all kind of elders sitting around me saying "You can do it Sister LeStarge, your tough!" or "Sister LeStarge you've got this!" so much pressure....They we're proud though in the end, and I can't say I didn't try. 
    Later that day we were really excited for a lesson with one of our investigators, we even had our ward mission leader and his wife coming! We went to his house and he wasn't home! So we called him and he dropped us! He explained life was a little hectic right now and he'd like for us to give him about a month. We'll go back. Instead of teaching him we went to our only other investigator to set up an appointment to meet with him. When we got to his house he asked us to come back after Christmas when he'd be less busy with school! NOO! Dropped by our only two investigators in one day!  We were ready for that day to be over! 
      On Thursday we celebrated my companions Birthday, which was really on Friday. We had dinner scheduled with this sweet elderly couple in the ward and when we reminded them about dinner we said "Sister Haw's birthday is on Friday!" they thought we said Thursday and we didn't have the heart to tell them it was on Friday, they were just so excited to celebrate her birthday! They even baked her a cake! We just couldn't tell them...poor sweet old members! We then celebrated her birthday again Friday! Which I think was less than exciting because its our planning day but she had a good time visiting some families at night. 
  On Saturday we had an awesome experience that built my testimony to listen to the subtle promptings of the spirit. We were running out of places to go, because parents weren't home and people were gone out and about. After leaving another members home who were unavailable to meet at the time, I felt a prompting to visit a certain sister in the ward. I talked it over with my companion and we were on our way. I was a little nervous because she and here husband weren't always home and they lived in a different part of our area. We found lights on as we drove by and said a quick prayer asking the Lord for this prompting to be true. Upon knocking on her door we found her home, but immediately noticed tears streaming down her face. She expressed she was having a hard night but invited us in anyway. We asked her if there was anything we could do but she insisted there wasn't. So we offered her all we could, a simple hug. She invited us to sit down and informed us she was worried about one of her sons. We listened and distracted her with questions about the upcoming holidays until her husband came home and could give her the comfort she needed. I am so blessed to have had this experience and to have felt the promptings of the spirit. Its all too often missionaries forget they have the spirit with them always, we just get use to it. I am grateful I was able to feel and listen to the prompting I had. I know we all can get these promptings as we slow down and listen to our hearts. 

Have a Happy thanksgiving everyone! 

Love Sister LeStarge   

No comments:

Post a Comment